Springwoods students are engaged, active learners who “Reach for the Stars” in pursuit of academic excellence. With the support of a comprehensive school counseling program, students develop as responsible citizens who enter adolescence with the decision-making and problem-solving skills necessary to achieve academic, personal & social, and career success in an ever changing world.
The Springwoods Elementary School Counseling program is comprehensive, developmental, and serves all students in support of our school mission of "academic excellence for EVERY student." It provides each learner equitable access to individual, small group, classroom, and consultative services designed to foster student success in academics, personal/social skills, and career development. The counselors work collaboratively with staff, students, parents, and the community to ensure all students become responsible citizens and achieve to their highest potential as expressed in our school motto: "Reach for the Stars!"
Beliefs & Philosophy
Springwoods Elementary Counselors:
- Believe in the value of each individual learner and in their potential to achieve.
- Serve as advocates for all students.
- Ensure that every learner has access to a comprehensive school counseling program that is both developmental and preventive in nature.
- Respect racial, ethnic, and cultural differences and special needs, and consider these in planning programs.
- Use data from a variety of sources in an ongoing effort to develop and evaluate the school counseling program.
- Follow the Prince William County K-12 School Counseling Curriculum.
- Plan and deliver the counseling program in collaboration with teachers, administrators, and school support staff, while seeking input from parents and the community.
- Are state certified, masters' degree level professionals.
- Adhere to the ethical standards of the profession advocated by the American School Counselor Association.
- Strive for continuous improvement through active participation in professional development activities.
Last Updated: 10/14/12