Lessons are based on the PWCS School Counseling Curriculum which includes competencies in 3 domains:
Personal Social Development
• KA.1: Understand responsibilities of being a student worker in school.
• KC.1/KP.1: Identify areas of interest and one's unique abilities.
• KC.2: Demonstrate awareness of careers in the community.
• KP.2: Identify and appropriately express various feelings.
• KP.3: Distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior in school.
• KP.4: Use appropriate communication skills to ask for help when needed.
KP.5 Demonstrate awareness of empathy and bully prevention skills and strategies.
First Grade Objectives:
• 1A.1: Demonstratepositive work habits by paying attention, following directions and completing tasks.
• 1A.2: Understand that mistakes are essential to the learning process.
• 1A.3: Understand the importance of goal setting.
• 1C.1: Demonstratean understanding of roles and contributions of workers in school, home, and community.
• 1C.2: Identify personal skills, abilities, and interests in the areas of academic, career, and personal/social development.
• 1P.1: Describe how to express feelings in constructive ways (i.e. "I statements.")
• 1P.2: Demonstrate an awareness of the importance of personal safety (i.e. Know telephone number, home address, emergency contact information, Stranger Danger).
• 1P.3: Identify situations requiring adult professional help (tattling vs. reporting).
1P.4 Demonstrate awareness of empathy and bully prevention skills.
2nd Grade Objectives:
• 2A.1: Demonstrate goal-setting steps.
• 2A.2: Recognize the relationship between goal setting and accomplishing quality work.
• 2A.3: Achieve academic success by working independently.
• 2A.4: Identify test-taking skills to be utilized.
• 2C.1: Learn about the variety of traditional and non-traditional occupations in a changing work place.
• 2C.2: Identify resource people in the school and community and know how to seek their help.
• 2P.1: Identify forms of communication (e.g., listening, speaking, body language, etc.)
• 2P.2: Demonstrate awareness of individual differences.
• 2P.3: Understand how to make and keep friends.
• 2P.4: Recognize how personal behavior affects group dynamics and show how to work cooperatively.
• 2P.5: Recognize peer pressure and bullying situations.
• 2P.6: Recognize different coping strategies to deal with situations.
3rd Grade Objectives:
• 3A.1: Set realistic short-term goals.
• 3A.2: Describe the relationship between learning/achievement and individual effort (work ethic).
• 3A.3: Identify study skills to be utilized.
• 3A.4: Identify and utilize organizational skills.
• 3A.5: Identify and utilize test-taking skills.
3A.6: Work cooperatively in small and large groups towards a common goal.
• 3C.1:Identifyattitudes and behaviors which lead to successful learning and productivity.
• 3C.2: Recognize that skills, abilities, and interests are considerations in the choice of careers.
• 3C.3: Understand that jobs with similar characteristics may be grouped as job families or career clusters.
• 3P.1: Identify different modes of interpersonal communication (verbal, non-verbal).
• 3P.2: Positively communicate thoughts, feelings, and needs to others in a variety of situations.
• 3P.3: Describe the importance of accepting responsibility for individual behavior and its affects others.
• 3P.4: Demonstrate self-control.
• 3P.5: Demonstrate how to communicate positively in a conflict and bullying situations.
• 3P.6: Explain the skills needed to function effectively in groups.
• 3P.7: Identify the decision-making process.
• 3P.8:Identify and demonstrate respectful behavior characteristics towards students in a diverse population.
4th Grade Objectives:
• 4A.1: Identify and describe how decision-making, problem-solving, and coping skills support or interfere with academic achievement.
• 4A.2: Identify effective test-taking skills to utilize.
• 4A.3: Demonstrate time management and organizational skills.
• 4A.5: Understand how personal learning styles can impact school achievement.
• 4C.1: Identify hobbies and interests.
• 4C.2: Relate each step of the decision-making/problem-solving process to career development (awareness, exploration, and preparation).
4C.3: Explain the importance of lifelong learning..
• 4P.1: Demonstrate methods of appropriately handing feelings and conflict in a peaceful and safe way.
• 4P.2: Identify factors that influence personal decisions.
• 4P.3: Demonstrate the decision-making process by generating alternative solutions to problems and considering/evaluating consequences.
• 4P.4: Recognize that group members may have differing opinions.
• 4P.5:Demonstrate different coping strategies for various situations and life changes.
• 4P.6:Identify factors that impact personal safety and well-being (i.e. substance abuse, bullying, etc.).
5th Grade Objectives:
• 5A.1: Set realistic long-term goals.
• 5A.2: Apply personal learning style.
• 5A.3: Recognize the benefits of individual initiative and teamwork.
• 5C.1: Compile a list of personal abilities.
• 5C.2: Describe how personal strengths in school work affect future goals and career options.
• 5C.3: Understand that the changing workplace requires lifelong learning and acquiring new skills.
• 5C.4: Acquire employ ability skills such as teamwork, problem-solving, and organization.
• 5C.5: Identify career choices through various means of exploration.
• 5C.6: Describe changes as inevitable and necessary to adapt to new situations, (e.g., middle school).
• 5P.1: Describe how verbal and non-verbal behavior influence interpersonal relationships.
• 5P.2: Demonstrate how to communicate with others.
• 5P.3: Demonstrate appreciation and respect for similarities and differences.
• 5P.4: Describe strategies for getting along with others.
• 5P.5: Demonstrate how to disagree with other without provoking them.
• 5P.6: Demonstrate appropriate responses to ease a conflict and bullying situations.
• 5P.7: Demonstrate effective responses to peer pressure.
• 5P.8: Identify and analyze group dynamics in a variety of situations.